3.22.2012

The Hunger Games : Book Review

Tonight I go see the Hunger Games Premier. Until then Here is my review of the book I wrote while patiently waiting for this movie to come out. I hope you enjoy my thoughts about the book!!!! If you have not read it, Ihope this encourages you to make up your mind too read it or not. This contains little to no spoliers. I will inform you if I spoiler is nearby.

Overview: Katniss Everdeen, a sixteen year old, lives in District 12, one of the 12 districts of Pamen. Panem is the remains of North America in the future. She is a hunter with her friend Gale, in order to save her family from startvation. Every year for the past 73 years, two tributes from each district are called to compete in the Hunger Games--a fight to the death. The games have 24 tributes and only one comes home. The children are care ages 12-18 and called by lottery. When Primrose, Katniss's 12 year old sister is called for the 74 Hunger Games, Katniss takes her place as tribute. Her fellow tribute from District 12 is Peeta Mellark, a boy who mysertiously saved her life five years ago.

My  Postistive thoughts: Well...AT first I steered away from what seemed like a bloodbath of teens. A friend crowned it as weak. I finally started reading the first book nearly a year ago and never finshed due to disaproval of the siuations in the book. Last fall I picked it up again and fell in love with Katniss, Gale, Peeta, and Prim. I could not put this book down! I think it does have some elements to good in it. At first I did not read it due to the fact it was children dying for entertainment. But it's much more. it's a story of sacrifice, of love, and of healing whats wrong into what is right. Peeta once saved Katniss's life and she knows she can't kill him in the games, but only one can come out. It's sweet. Mostly It's thrilling and you dread picking it up, wondering who will die next. If you love adventure, thrill, and romance, you'll love it. I mean I can gurantee you'll enjoy it.

My negative thoughts: The main thing tha stuck out to me while reading, not including the facts it's teens dying, is the fact the book is very, very, very weak. Don't take me wrong. It's wonderful, but weak. By weak I mean it lacks the character and plot development needed in a story. In books such as Lord of The Rings or Harry Potter, there is chacrter development and complex plots. I lovd this book, yet Literature wise it was super weak.

Conclusion: Read it, but prepare....you might be slightly disapointed Literature-wise :)

I also wish to add the fact that this is not a book for children under the age of 12-13ish. It's mature. The movie will be very mature too. I would not let any of my children read it unless they were at least in seventh grade....maybe depending on their maturity. It's not a kids books...it's a teens book where children die and blood is shed. There is also some complex themes younger children would not appericiate inless they were older. I would talk to an adult who has read the book for more info.

If your a teenager then the book is probably a-ok. I am 17 so it did not bother me at all. The movie is going to be super violent so again...It's not for kids.

I love the series. I love Peeta. But it's not a book of happily-ever-after

 
Happy Hunger Games, Fans! May the odds be Ever in your favor!



2 comments:

  1. I think this was a very good review. I agreee with the lit part. Will and are driving down today and can't wait to dress up with you! Is Sop and Ana coming? Well I have been not liking it here is TN, way too hot. Cant wait to come home :)

    Hugs and Kisses,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was good, my Maya. I want to see you soon!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the bomb.