4.27.2012

Pass Judgement

*ahem*
Where to begin?

How often do we judge people? How often do we look at someone and immediately think thoughts such as "wow. they must be messed up."  Or write posts on why we should not read a certain book series because it isn't biblical or right. I hate opeing a blog to see a flood of posts on why a certain movie is wrong. The issue is not if the book series is wrong it's opion.

This is a subject I have felt like writing about for forever. Actually this post has been written up for quite a while. It takes a little shove to post it. And it all begins with a bible verse I love dearly. Romans 14.

 As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
  (Romans 14:1-4 ESV)


At the time there was a lot of debates on if the old testament rules, such as not eating unclean meat and sacrifice, were still active after the death and rescurection of Jesus Christ. Paul was just reminding them "Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls." We have our own choice between such subjects and our descion is between us and God.

For example if a friend believes it is okay to watch a certain movie as a christian, and has prayed to God about it, and feels certain on the subject, then I'm not going to hold it aganist her. That is between her and God. I'm going to judge her for her personal descion with God, even if I choose to make a seprate option.

Another example is the Harry Potter series. A lot of friends of mine believe it is wrong to read those books. I don't and I have been judged greatly for it. I could go on for a few posts why I believe it's ok to read them but I won't. I am just saying I think It is okay to read them. I'm a christian. And I find nothing in this series that gets between my reltionship with God or sparks evil in my heart. And if you think it's wrong to read them I'm not going to hold it against you at all. It's your descion with you and God.

If our ultimate goal is to be like Jesus, we must not have judgemental hearts. Jesus was greatly judged for he ate with the worst of sinners and broke the sabbath. People hated him for it. And something else about Jesus was he never judged. If he lived in present times we would not be in the temples preching on why we should not read Twilight, etc. He loves all humans and delights in the authors and fans of those books if they are His children.

I'm not fighting for human rights here and saying we have freedom. We don't. We are entirely Christ's. But I believe in some subjects we have the option to make a choice between us and God. And who are we to hold judgement against our brothers and sisters?
425635_344273308958496_304105252975302_1062387_93543212_n_large
null

1 comment:

Comments are the bomb.