3.07.2013

Thursday Interview | Jessica

 
Featuring the wonderful Jessica from the alcove.

To begin, tell us a bit about yourself, what inspired you to begin blogging, and what has inspired you to continue
Hey there, I'm Jess, and I blog over at the alcove. I'm nineteen years old; I was born and raised in the city of Mesa, Arizona, where there is beauty in abundance. Rainy days make me smile, and I love books that can make me cry. I've always been the kind of girl who loves creating pretty things + sharing her heart, which is what originally made blogging a good outlet for me. Now, I'm inspired by the many valuable friends that I've made from around the world. I don't know what I would do without their prayers and encouragements.

Do you have any goals for the upcoming year? What gave you a desire to make these goals?
My goals for this year mainly revolve around furthering my education and career. I'll be finishing up some classes at my local community college this semester, and from there I hope to start taking some massage therapy courses + learning more about natural medicine. I'd also like to earn my driver's license, and continue branching out in photography as a hobby.

Define inspiration (to you).
Inspiration, to me, is anything that triggers creativity. It could be a line from a song, it could be something in nature, it could be any number of things. While I believe that it's important to work hard, whether or not you have it or not, I also believe that it can help you produce the finest results in whatever you're doing.

Where do you get the most inspiration daily for your photography/writing?
My inspiration for my writing usually comes from whatever books/poetry I'm reading. (Most good writers are bookworms, after all.) I think that my photography inspiration comes from other photographers online (my favorites are listed here) and Creation. I make it a point to go for a walk, at least a few times a week. When I see something that strikes me as beautiful, I just have to preserve it. Photography and writing are the best way (for me) to do that.

 If you could travel anywhere in the world, at any time, where and what time?
I want to travel all over the world, but first of all, to Ireland. From what photos I've seen, the books I've read, and what my father and his mother have told me, it's amazing. (A note: I have quite a bit of Irish blood in me from both sides of my family, so my decision may be a bit biased.)

What are you looking forward to most in the next year?
I have many things to look forward to this year. For one, I want to go to school and learn more about natural healing + massage therapy. I'm praying that the Lord will bless me with a job in that field. Also, I'm very excited to be moving forward in my relationship with a Godly man, and making plans for our future together. :)

What's one of your favorite memories? Why? What does it mean to you?
Summers spent at my grandmother's house. We would have barbeques, and my brothers and I would go swimming with our cousins until we lay exhausted in the grass, watching the shadows grow long, and the desert sun disappear. Later in the evening, we would always listen and laugh at the adults' stories from yester-years, anxious to grow up so that we could make memories of our own. Those summers were the best days of my childhood - I'd give just about anything to go back there for awhile.

Picture this. You’re going on adventure. But you can only take three things. What would you choose? My journal is the first thing I would grab. I rarely leave the house without it, and when I do, I regret not having somewhere to write down my thoughts. The second thing would be my camera, charged and ready to capture all of the sights I'm going to see. And the third... (do people count as things? I just can't go on an adventure without my guy.)

What's your favorite quote of all time? 
The one that came to mind when I read your question was this, so it's the one I'm going to go with: "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, rather than a second-rate version of someone else." (Judy Garland)
I think this quote speaks volumes, especially to the young men and women of our generation. It's a good thing to remember, especially when you're pursuing what you love, to better yourself for your own sake, not for the sake of measuring up to someone else's standards.


 What do you plan on pursing as a career currently? What sparked this?
The soundtrack of my heart is extremely eclectic, and includes everything from classical to indie pop. A little bit of country, a little bit of rock and roll. (Mostly acoustic guitar, since that sound has always awakened something special in me.) Also, it's miles long, so I won't trouble you with the entire list here.

If you made a soundtrack/mixtape of you life what songs would be on there? 
The soundtrack of my heart is extremely eclectic, and includes everything from classical to indie pop. A little bit of country, a little bit of rock and roll. (Mostly acoustic guitar, since that sound has always awakened something special in me.) Also, it's miles long, so I won't trouble you with the entire list here.
What do you want to remembered as?
"A woman after Yahweh's own heart."

We live in a culture that often sucks us in to not being ourselves. What helps you stay genuine.
I think being genuine is mostly about having your priorities straight. I'm not living for other peoples' acceptance or praises - I'm living for my King. Which means that when I like something, I'm not afraid to show it, even if it's 'not popular'. It also means that I'm not afraid to love something that everyone loves. (There's a difference, I think, between following a fad, and pursuing what you love.) Basically, do what you do and love what you love for yourself and God, because in the end, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

 Where do you see you in 5 years from today?
I like to believe that, five years from today, I'll be married to the man I love and starting a family. Maybe practicing natural medicine from home, but always focusing on my job as a wife and mom first. Essentially, all that really matters is that I'm where my Lord wants me. If He's pleased with me, then I'll be happy wherever I'm at.

 As we finish, tell us what advice you'd give to yourself (if you could) on the day you began blogging. Don't be afraid to be yourself. Expect that the numbers will never be everything that you want them to be, and just have fun.

Thanks, Jess!








1 comment:

Comments are the bomb.